Learn the history behind Scotland's ancient castles and buildings
Tiree can be visited by air and by sea.
For airfares and times, contact Flybe
For ferry prices and times contact Caledonian MacBrayne
Tiree is the most westerly island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. The low-lying island, southwest of Coll, has an area of 30.2 square miles and a population of around 650. The land is highly fertile, and crofting, alongside tourism, and fishing are the main sources of employment for the islanders. Tiree, along with Colonsay, enjoys a relatively high number of total hours of sunshine during the late spring and early summer compared to the average for the United Kingdom. Tiree is a popular windsurfing venue and is a proposed location for an offshore wind farm. The island is sometimes referred to as Hawaii of the north. The main village on Tiree is Scarinish. The island’s other settlements include Hynish and Sandaig, both of which boast small museums. The highest point on Tiree is Ben Hynish to the south of the island which rises to 141 metres. Tiree is known for the 1st-century-AD Dùn Mòr broch, for the prehistoric carved Ringing Stone and for the birds of the Ceann a’ Mhara headland.
In 1770, half of the island was held by fourteen farmers who had drained land for hay and pasture. Instead of exporting live cattle (which were often exhausted by the long journey to market and so fetched low prices), they began to export salt beef in barrels to get better prices. The rest of the island was let to 45 groups of tenants on co-operative joint farms: agricultural organisations probably dating from clan times. Field strips were allocated by annual ballot. Sowing and harvesting dates were decided communally. It is reported that in 1774, Tiresians were ‘well-clothed and well-fed, having an abundance of corn and cattle’.
Its name derives from Tìr Iodh, ‘land of the corn’, from the days of the 6th century Celtic missionary and abbot St Columba. Tiree provided the monastic community on the island of Iona, south-east of the island, with grain. A number of early monasteries once existed on Tiree itself, and several sites have stone cross-slabs from this period, e.g. St Patrick’s Chapel, Ceann a’ Mhara and Soroby.
Skerryvore lighthouse, 12 miles south-west of Tiree, was built with some difficulty between 1838 and 1844 by Alan Stevenson.
This article uses material from this Wikipedia article which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0